Monday, January 25, 2010

World's Best Leftovers... Post Party Bliss



I love leftovers. I mean, if it was good the first night, chances are it will be even better the second night. Right? Part of that I'm sure has something to do with anticipation. Another part, to do with the fact that I CAN HAVE SOMETHING GREAT WITHOUT COOKING OR WAITING.


And often, there is an assortment or choices as to how to serve 'em up. (My Brother-in-Law from Wisconsin used to call this the Smorgie Effect, as in Smorgasbord.)

Restaurant leftovers are great, with the caveat that one must count carefully the time the items have been outside the safe food temp zone....


Which is why homemade leftovers rule, with the emphasis on PARTY LEFTOVERS. You know in each instance how long each item was left at room temp, etc. and can judge more accurately it's safety. And since it didn't need to travel, you have more room to work there, too. And then, for me there are all the specialty items I don't usually buy on a daily basis, AND my tendency to MAKE WHAT I REALLY WANT TO EAT for a dinner party. My guests are my guinea pigs of sorts. I don't cook most of the things I serve at a dinner for the crew around here! What would be the point? They would not "get it" or sometimes even try it. And yet, the magic of a party seems to make my family more adventuresome. And in the instances where they won't try something I slaved over, I have the joy of many others trying and often (I hope) enjoying it. And the striving to be green, not to waste, well. I try to do my part! At least I can tell myself that when I'm looking for lunch and, well, no-one else is going to make use of these delicious things if I don't-- don't find the enjoyment of the variety and in spinning them into other incarnations. Come on, finish up that Brie! Somebody's gotta do it! ;)

>
DAY ONE: Order Up: Making the Baguettes Measure UP for Four... For (leftover sirloin) Steak Sands, and one request for a Hot Ham and Cheese with Muenster. Steak and Arugula, Steak and Red Onion, Steak with Arugula, Red Onion and Horseradish- Yum!
DAY TWO: Panzanella Salad with Salmon and Poblano, short grain Brown Rice, Shredded Parm and a splash more Fig infused Vinegar.

DAY THREE: Perfect Brie, Fontina Cheese, Walnuts, Dalmatian Fig Preserves with Glutino Crackers - Plain (like Water Crackers), and Wholegrain (with Poppyseed & Whole Fennel!).


&
(Bouquet of Flatleaf Parsley and Basil!)


DAY FOUR: The Flowers are still going strong and GORGEOUS.




DAY FIVE: The last two roasted mushrooms...
mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE COMMENTS!!

FEEL FREE TO LEAVE SOME!

THEY REALLY MAKE MY DAY!

THANKS FOR VISITING, IN ANY EVENT.

HAPPY SUMMER!
:D